Centuries before Ferdinand Magellan discovered the Philippine Island, Chinese traders were already bartering their porcelains, saucers, beads, needles and the like with cotton, pearls, shells and other products of the natives.
In Luzon, especially in Batangas Province, some of these Chinese traders settled along the seashore of a community called San Diego (now one the Barangays of Lian) until the Spaniards came to the place. Incidentally, a Chinese trader whose name was “LI-AN” was asked by the Spaniard leader, “Que es el nombre este lugar? (What is the name of this place?). Thinking that his name was the one being asked, the Chinaman answered “LI-AN”. The Spaniard thinking that this was already a town, nodded and said “Si, si, el pueblo de Lian” (Yes, yes, the town of Lian).
As years passed by, the Chinese settlers gradually disappeared from the community and possibly established themselves in other places where trade and commerce thrive better. Today, not even one of these foreigners could be found.
Originally, Lian was a barrio of the Municipality of Nasugbu but through the able leadership of “Kapitan Isko Lejano”, the separation of Lian from its mother municipality and its subsequent conversion into a municipality was achieved.
This leads to the organization of the Municipal Government of Lian in the year 1914-1915. Kapitan Isko Lejano was appointed as the First Municipal President (June 15, 1915-1917).
With the municipal government organized, they negotiated and affected the transfer of ownership of the entire Estate of Lian Colegio de San Jose (the original owner) to the town people in 1933.
At present, the municipality is composed of nineteen (19) barangays, 57 sitios and has an area of 10,655.3489 hectares. Its principal products are sugarcane, rice, vegetable and other staple crops.
Like any other municipality of the province, Lian has its share of heroic leaders and martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the cause of freedom. On January 16, 1945, Japanese soldiers stationed in the so called “Hacienda” (now St. Claire Academy), and Lian Elementary School, zoned the whole town of Lian and executed 48 known guerrillas. (Unknown to them, one survived the massacre in the name of Angel L. Limjoco, Jr. who later became the Chairman of Philippines Chamber of Commerce.)
Two weeks later, January 31,1945, the Americans liberated the town. Since then, the community in Lian commemorates and celebrates this day in honor of the 48 martyrs executed by the Japanese Imperial Armies.
The Monument of 48 MARTYRS of Lian